League of Geeks
Based in Melbourne, Australia
1st September 2015
DescriptionArmello is a swashbuckling adventure that combines RPG elements with the strategic play of card and board games, creating a personal, story-fuelled experience.You, play as a 'Hero' from one of the four animal clans: Rat, Rabbit, Bear or Wolf. Players navigate their fully animated 3D character across the board (procedurally generated from 3D hex tiles) as they quest, scheme, explore,Vanquish monsters, perform the Mad King's royal edicts, and face off against other players, with one ultimate end goal in mind - storming the palace and becoming King or Queen of Armello.Armello is League of Geeks' attempt to revolutionise digital board and card games, whilst providing players a rich world within which they can craft their very own stories of epic adventure.
HistoryIn mid 2011 shortly after League of Geeks' (LoG's) founding, the collective's directors decided to embark on creating a digital card and board game that would ensnare groups of friends in the same types of wondrous adventures that we all grew up reading, watching, and playing! One that truly leverages the opportunities offered to traditional tabletop design and storytelling by the digital platform. Over eight months of paper prototyping and 15+ versions later, Armello was ready to begin proper production. Since then, LoG has been developing the game on iPad, Armello's intial release platform, and slowly expanding their unique development collective; attracting incredible talent from multiple continents and bringing the game towards alpha over the last eighteen months. Even though currently at Beta and League of Geeks' debut title, Armello has already garnered international acclaim from press, public and developers alike, with a solid international following. Armello was formally announced in September of 2012 with great success and coverage by major gaming sites including Polygon, IGN, Gamespot, indiegames.com, BoardGameGeek and many more. Kotaku's Luke Plunkett proclaiming upon announce; "Armello is at the top of my iPad gaming radar!" After showing Armello to press for the first time at GDC 2013, critical acclaim was unanimous with Game Informer writing a glowing preview headlined "The Dice are Rolling in Armello's Favor". Armello was displayed at the inaugural PAX Aus in July, 2013, PC & Tech Authority proclaimed "Simply put - [Armello] is amazing." Armello was also invited to exhibit at the Indie MEGABOOTH at PAX Prime in 2013.
- Easy to Play but Hard to Master - Armello is an intuitive game, easy to pick up and experience but with deep and emergent strategy. Full release will include a tutorial mode.
- Fast and Thoughtful - Adventuring in Armello is fast-paced fun but filled with deadly tactical and politically complex decisions requiring careful forethought and planning.
- Multiple Playable Heroes - Full release will include 8 playable Heroes. Each unique Hero possess a special power, stat line and Ai personality. Also heroes can be customised with Amulet and Signet Ring load-outs to match your play style or counter an opponents strategy.
- Dynamic Sandbox - Armello features a gorgeous dynamic world which procedurally generates a new map each and every game, complete with a dynamic quest system ensuring no two games of Armello are ever the same.
- Turn-Based Day and Night Cycle - Armello features a fuzzy turn-based system, cycling between Day and Night phases. The fuzzy turns allow you to still play cards and do certain actions when its not your turn, and when it is you use Action Points to move around the hex board.
- World Class Music and Audio - By Michael Allen, internationally acclaimed artist Lisa Gerrard, Stephan Schutze and Jacek Tuschewski.
- Animated Cards - Armello will feature over a 120+ beautifully animated in-game Cards, from artists all over the world.
- True Tabletop Feel - We spent months making sure we cherry-picked the best parts of the tabletop experience, like our custom physics-based dice!
Usurpers Launch Trailer YouTube
Launch Trailer YouTube
Early Access Trailer YouTube
Armello Announce Trailer YouTube
'Horrors & Heroes' Trailer YouTube
Armello B-Roll YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF" Finalist 2016.
- "SXSW" Finalist 2016.
- "Kotaku" Australian Game of the Year 2015.
- "IGF China" Honourable Mention 2015.
- "Australian Game Developers Awards" Finalist 2015.
- "IndieCade" Finalist 2015.
- "IndieMEGABOOTH" Gamescom 2014, PAX Prime 2015.
- "Indie Fund" Proudly selected in 2015.
- "Indie Prize" Finalilst 2015.
- "Made with Unity Showcase" Alumni 2015.
- "Kickstarter" Successfully Kickstarted in 2014.
- "This is a digital board game that exists somewhere between the island of Catan and the land of Studio Ghibli."
- Colin Campbell, Polygon
- "Armello is one of our most anticipated games for this year."
- David Neumann, BoardGameGeek
- "It's like Game of Thrones, only with animals."
- Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
- "If [League of Geeks] make that enormous melange of gameplay elements into a cohesive whole, then Armello will be rubbing elbows with the very best games on tablets."
- Owen Faraday, Pocket Tactics
- "One of the best games [at PAX Aus 2013], in my opinion, has to be Armello."
- Terence Huynh, Tech Geek
- "Armello might just have stumbled onto that elusive formula where it transcends traditional genre preferences."
- Richard Moss, MacLife
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About League of Geeks
League of Geeks is an indie game development collective comprising talented professionals from video game development and multiple other industries. Brought together by a passion for creating highly engaging content and user-experiences, we're simply here to make the best possible games we can.
More information on League of Geeks, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Armello was developed with the assistance of Film Victoria and Screen Australia.